August 22, 2012

In My Farmers Market Basket: 8.21.12

Ever since moving from Austin to Los Angeles, I've tried to make the most of everything the Golden State has to offer. One of the great advantages of living in such a temperate climate year round is all of the lovely, fresh produce.

I am someone who loves to cook and who loves to eat. Receiving weekly deliveries of local fruits and vegetables to my doorstep provides a healthier way to live and a welcome challenge.

While I consider myself to be pretty knowledgeable in the kitchen (thanks to the Food Network & reading cookbooks religiously), there are still some specimen that arrive & require a quick Google search (Shishito Peppers anyone??).


The first thing I do once I spot the box on my doorstep (even though it's time consuming), is to unpack, wash everything, then pack it for use. I find that doing this keeps everything preserved for as long as I need before I use it.

Whenever I have a minute, I start planning my weekly menu. That way, I can go to the grocery and buy any items that I might need to have once dinner time arrives. Here's what's on the menu this week:

Lime-Spiked Seafood with Roasted Sweet Potatoes-using those beautiful sweet potatoes

Grilled Lamb Skewers with Mint & Rosemary (pre-prepared from Whole Foods), Roasted Sweet Peppers, Feta, Naan & Hummus

Pizza Night! Grilled Zucchini & Eggplant Pizza with Tapenade and Fontina, served with a Green Salad

Our go-to spicy Curry Recipe...Zucchini Curry (I add Chicken and any other vegetable I have on hand)

My favorite lunch when there are beautiful heirloom tomatoes...a fat & juicy BLT!

Most of the fruit is eaten fresh, cut up in yogurt or as a night-time snack...

Here's wishing you a week of good eating and lots of joy!
Cheers,
Bailey

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...